What's Happening at St. John's
Capital Campaign Update
Thank you for returning your Bless This House capital campaign Commitment Cards! If you have not returned your pledge, please return it to the office as soon as possible!
Campaign update as of July 11:
Pledged to Date: $1,726,569.16 / % of Goal 96.08% / Pledges Received: 254 / Households Pledging: 72.36%
VBS Day Camp at St. John’s will be held July 16-19! Registration is now available. Please note there are two forms for registration. Please fill out both forms completely. Forms due to Alicia Karwal by June 24. And, if you are interested in volunteering your time or hosting a camp counselor (or know someone who would), please contact Alicia!
Host families and volunteers are needed for our VBS Day Camp on July 16-19! We still need housing for one camp counselor. If you are interested in hosting a camp counselor (or know someone who will), please contact Alicia Karwal at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers during the week are also needed- it’s fun and easy! This opportunity counts towards Silver Cord hours for high school students!
- Mah Jongg: Monday, July 16, we’ll meet at 6 p.m. at Smokey Row, weather permitting.
- Quilting: Not meeting during July.
- Lunch Bunch II: Wednesday, July 18, at 12:30 p.m. If interested in joining this group which meets the third Wednesday of the month, please contact Ann Moeller at email@example.com or 274-7339.
- Lunch Bunch I: July 19, at 11:30 a.m. This group meets the third Thursday of each month. The organizer for July is Marge Sexton-Randels; August - Blanca Hanson; September -Sue Ging and October - Mitzie McCloskey. If you have questions or are interested in joining, please contact Mary Liechty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scrapbooking: Join us Saturday, July 28, at 9:30 a.m. in Room 8. All are welcome.
- Celebrating Katy: A monthly visit to a local microbrewery to celebrate the hospitality of Katharina von Bora, wife of Martin Luther and a home brewer continues on Aug. 9, 7 p.m., at the Craft Beer Tent, Iowa State Fair. With questions, contact Rod Snavely at email@example.com or 515-494-3178 by phone or text.
- Recreational Book Club: Plan to meet Wednesday Aug. 22 at 4:30 p.m. at Caribou Coffee on Ingersoll to pick books for 2018-2019. Newcomers are welcome. With questions, contact Carol MacDonald at Caroljomac@gmail.com or 515-255-2656.
- WIRED Book Discussion: Meeting Tuesday, Aug. 7, 5 p.m., at the home of Lisa Ossian, 1004 C Avenue East, Oskaloosa. The book to read is The President Is Missing co-authored by former US President Bill Clinton and James Patterson. We will meet in St. John’s parking lot at 3:30 to car pool. Let Lisa know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend.
- WIRED Cooking: We are a group of women gathering together to enjoy a good meal and each others company, join us at a fun Mexican themed dinner at Karen Zabel’s home on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 6 p.m. For details, email Karen at email@example.com. To attend, RSVP to Carol Lunde at firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 20.
July & August Artist of the Month: St. John’s Permanent Collection
Artwork from the St. John’s permanent collection will be exhibited in Weertz Fellowship Hall during the months of July and August. Look for wildlife prints and other artwork that has been gifted to St. John’s throughout the years.
The Artist of the Month schedule for 2018-19 is in the process of being developed. If you, or an artist you would like to recommend, might be interested in exhibiting in the Weertz Fellowship Hall gallery, please contact Beth Ann Edwards (email@example.com).
The Journey Through Grief
Navigating life after loss can be difficult. Over six sessions, join us to learn about how you grieve, discover coping tools for dealing with loss and change, and develop a new support network. We will meet the third Thursday of the month (March 15 – August 16) at 6 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church. A light supper will be provided at each session. For pre-registration and questions, contact Anne Alesch at firstname.lastname@example.org / (515) 557-3169 (unitypoint.org/bereavement)
School Kits for Lutheran World Relief
Now through August the Global Mission Ministry will be collecting schools supplies for kits to send to Lutheran World Relief. You may contribute all or part of the supplies at any time.
Following are needed items:
- four 70-sheet notebooks wide or college ruled paper (no loose leaf)
- one 30 centimeter ruler (may also be centimeters on one side and inches on the other)
- one box of 16 or 24 crayone
- five unsharpened #2 pencils with erasers
- five black or blue BALLPOINT pens (no gel ink)
- one 21/2 inch eraser
- one pencil sharpener
- one pair of blunt scissors (safety scissors with embedded steel blades work well)
- one 14”x 17” inch drawstring backpack-style cloth bag with string straps (these may often be found at dollar stores)
This is a good time to start looking for sales. Items may be placed in the LWR collection boxes available in the reception and narthex areas.
Manual Can Openers Needed
If you’ve advanced to the high-tech stage of can openers and still have the retired versions at home, we have a use for them. We are collecting them for the homeless. who often receive canned goods and need a way to open them. We appreciate any working openers that you have and will get them to those in need. Thank you!