What's Happening at St. John's
Capital Campaign Update
Thank you for returning your Bless This House capital campaign Commitment Cards! If you have not returned your pledge, please return it to the office as soon as possible!
Campaign update as of August 15:
Pledged to Date: $1,726,569.16 / % of Goal 96.08% / Pledges Received: 254 / Households Pledging: 72.36%
Get to Know St. John’s: New Member/Inquiry Class Coming Up!
Please mark your calendars for Sunday, Sept. 16 when we host a gathering for those interested in joining St. John’s and/or finding out more about what we do as a church “in the city for good.” Invite family members and friends. We will meet following the 10 a.m. service. Also on that date, Katie (Hospitality & Outreach Coordinator), will be available in the Fireside Lounge between the two services with information for volunteer opportunities within St. John’s. With a church this size, there are many needs and options for assisting with our wide ministry. Your help is needed. “Many hands make light work.” Please stop by with questions or to sign-up for areas that interest you. Hope to see you there!
Rally Day will soon be here! Join us on Sunday, Sept. 9 a St. John’s Safari! All children ages 3 through fifth grade are invited to come with their families from 8:45-9:45 to join in the fun and register for Sunday School. The first day of Sunday School is Sept. 16.
Our Whole Lives: Elementary for 4th and 5th graders will be held Sunday mornings during the Sunday School hour Sept. 16 through Nov. 11. Please note: This class is adapted to now serve grades 4 and 5. Any child entering 6th grade who did not have the opportunity to participate in the program before is welcome and encouraged to sign up this fall. Please join us on Rally Day for more information or contact Alicia at email@example.com if you have questions.
Calling all volunteers for children and youth ministries! If you are interested in volunteering in any of the programs for children and youth at St. John’s, you are invited to attend an orientation following the 10 a.m. worship service on Sunday, Aug. 26 from 11:30-1:00 in Neumann. Lunch will be provided. Please RSVP to Alicia Karwal, Maggie Evans, or Beth Ann Edwards. Hope to see you there.
- Mah Jongg: Monday, Aug. 20, will meet at 6 p.m. at Smokey Row, weather permitting.
- EAGLES: Meet at The Machine Shed on Aug. 22 at 9:30 a.m. for breakfast. Please contact Linda Rieck (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 515-282-3464) by Aug. 20 if you plan to attend. Newcomers are welcome.
- Recreational Book Club: We’ll meet Wednesday Aug. 22, 4:30 p.m., at Caribou Coffee on Ingersoll to choose books for 2018-2019. Newcomers are welcome. With questions, contact Carol at Caroljomac@gmail.com or 515-255-2656.
- St. John’s Garden Club: Join us at Grade A Gardens (9050 N.W. 62nd Ave., Johnston) Thursday, Aug. 30, at 6 p.m. Grade A Gardens grows certified organic fruits and vegetables on seven acres and markets through a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), the Downtown Des Moines Farmer’s Market, restaurants and specialty grocers. Whitney Brewer, a St. John’s member, and Jordan Clasen will give a tour and talk about the unique partnership between consumers and farmers in a CSA. Please join us for this most interesting event. For more information, see www.gradeagardens.com.
- WIRED Cooking: This group of women will gather to enjoy a good meal and each other’s company at a fun Mexican-themed dinner to be hosted by Karen Zaabel and Carol Lunde on Wednesday, Aug. 22, at 6 p.m.at Karen’s home (1102 S. 50th Pl., WDM). RSVP by Monday, Aug. 20, to Carol Lunde (email@example.com). If you have questions, email Karen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- WIRED Open House: This social event will be Sunday, Sept. 9, from 9 a.m. to noon in Neumann Hall. All women are welcome to stop by, say hello, and get acquainted with our WIRED mission and events. Bring a friend with you!
July & August Artist of the Month: St. John’s Permanent Collection
Artwork from the St. John’s permanent collection will be exhibited in Weertz Fellowship Hall during the months of July and August. Look for wildlife prints and other artwork that has been gifted to St. John’s throughout the years.
The Artist of the Month schedule for 2018-19 is in the process of being developed. If you, or an artist you would like to recommend, might be interested in exhibiting in the Weertz Fellowship Hall gallery, please contact Beth Ann Edwards (email@example.com).
School Kits for Lutheran World Relief
Now through August the Global Mission Ministry will be collecting schools supplies for kits to send to Lutheran World Relief. You may contribute all or part of the supplies at any time.
Following are needed items:
- four 70-sheet notebooks wide or college ruled paper (no loose leaf)
- one 30 centimeter ruler (may also be centimeters on one side and inches on the other)
- one box of 16 or 24 crayone
- five unsharpened #2 pencils with erasers
- five black or blue BALLPOINT pens (no gel ink)
- one 21/2 inch eraser
- one pencil sharpener
- one pair of blunt scissors (safety scissors with embedded steel blades work well)
- one 14”x 17” inch drawstring backpack-style cloth bag with string straps (these may often be found at dollar stores)
This is a good time to start looking for sales. Items may be placed in the LWR collection boxes available in the reception and narthex areas.
Youth Group Updates
- The pool party at Pastor Bob’s house has been moved to Monday, August 20th from 3:00 – 6:00.
Fine Arts Patron Party Set for Aug. 26
The annual Fine Arts Patron Party, hosted by the St. John’s Arts Visioning Team, is scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 26, from 4 to 6 p.m. Mark your calendars for this annual event that celebrates our patrons, artists, and musicians. Join us for food, entertainment and a preview of the 2018-19 program year. The event will take place at the Iowa State Bar Association headquarters at 625 East Court Ave. This newly renovated facility, built in 1902 as the Des Moines Western Railway Freight House, is on the National Register of Historic Places.