Serving Around the World
St. John's has been blessed with opportunities to support various missionary projects throughout the years.
Global Mission Ministry Team
St. John's has been blessed with opportunities to support various missionary projects throughout the years. St. John’s is committed to being a part of the Global Mission Ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Our Ministry team (pictured) is active in the following ways:
Global Mission Education
We organize congregational events each year that illustrate and inform the congregation about the Global Mission activities of the ELCA.
- Sponsorship of a Missionary – currently supporting Brian Palmer in Liberia
- Lutheran World Relief projects – make quilts, collect school supplies for distribution around the world
- Advocate to feed the hungry – writing letters to Congress.
- Education – provide speakers for the congregation and attend Glocal Mission Gatherings.
Fair Trade Emphasis
We believe that the local producers should receive a fair amount for the products they grow; direct marketing from small producers to people who use the products. Every Sunday, these high quality Fair Trade products are offered for sale. Coffee, Tea, Chocolate, Olive Oil, and Olive Oil Soap are available. Also, once a year we sponsor a Fair Trade Market in which a variety of hand-crafted products from various places in the world are available for purchase.
As a congregation, we sponsor mission projects that help improve the daily lives of others in the world. Projects may include such things as: sending needed medical supplies; providing for safe water supplies; or supporting children’s education. Current projects underway will be announced.
Please consider supporting a designated mission project for a day, a week or a month. Individual sponsorship costs as little as three dollars per day. Pick a day or month that has special meaning to you; for example: a birthday or anniversary. Make all checks payable to St. John’s Lutheran Church with “Global Mission” on the memo line.
Ask yourself: How can I take part in this ministry?
- Pray for the work of the Ministry Team.
- Join our Ministry Team. Contact one of the pastors or Phyllis Olson at email@example.com.
- Contribute financially to one or more Global Mission projects.
- Learn about the culture and life in foreign lands.
- Take a mission trip to visit our companion congregation, Mramba, in Tanzania