Mission Statement: Our mission is to provide opportunities for women to create community and experience personal and spiritual growth.
WIRED (Women Interested in Renewal, Education, and Discovery) is for women of all ages, members and non-members. There will be three WIRED Gatherings per year--some to get together and visit over lunch, then enjoy a program (speaker of interest to women) and others as an interactive activity. Small groups meet based on special interests.
ACTIVITIES FOR THE YEAR 2018
Sunday, January 28, 2018: Luncheon & Service Project Program, 11:30 am in Weertz Fellowship Hall, Cost: $10 for lunch
The WIRED Service Project for the coming year is Head Start (in the Des Moines Public Schools):
We will have two Head Start Speakers, Crystal Abbe and Kristin Warming to tell us about the Head Start Program and their needs. At this point, their wish list to support their families includes:
- Sweatpants, elastic waist--sizes 3-6 (neutral colors like grey, blue, black)
- Underwear--boys and girls--sizes 3-6
- Preschool books--gently used or new
OR If you would prefer--donate cash to buy books. Head Start has a program that every month they send home a book-to-keep with each student. They have a great connection and only pay shipping.
You may bring items listed above or cash (for the send home books) to the January 28 Luncheon and Program or you can put items in the boxes outside the sanctuary labeled for Head Start
The Spring WIRED Event
Sunday, April 22, 2018: Luncheon & Speakers on Human Trafficking, 11:30 am in Weertz Fellowship Hall
Speakers: Michael Ferjak, Executive Consultant for Human Trafficking;
Kellie Markey, Started Dorothy's House, to serve survivors of human trafficking
The Fall WIRED Event
Saturday, September 29, 2018
Fun Activity to be announced
Let us know if you are interested in attending any of these activities by e-mailing Darla at email@example.com
WIRED Small Groups:
All of these groups are open to all women. Please e-mail the facilitator to let her know of your interest and get more information.
- COOKING CLASSES: Carol Lunde (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the facilitator for this group. Meets quarterly. Next event: Tuesday, February 27, 6-9 pm at the Cheese Shop on 42nd Street for a cheese taste testing. Cost is $20. Contact Carol if you will be able to attend. It is limited to the first 12 people who reserve.
- BOOK DISCUSSION: Meets about every 6 weeks to discuss a book chosen the previous time. The next meeting is Tuesday, March 20, at the home of Darla Stiles. RSVP to email@example.com if you can attend. Please bring an appetizer to share. Book selection: What is the What by Dave Eggers.
- WOMEN’S NIGHT OUT: Jacque Warming (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Darla Stiles (email@example.com) facilitate this group. Meets quarterly. The next gathering will be Thursday, February 1, meeting at 7:00 pm at the Temple Theater (Temple for Performing Arts) to see "One Funny Mother"
- SERVICE/LEARNING PROJECTS: The WIRED group selects one or more groups in the community for a service learning project each year in January. This year our service project recipient is Head Start. (See above for information to help them.)
- YOGA: Yoga instructor, Corinne Lambert, comes to St. John’s Thursdays at 5:45 to 6:45 pm in the Fireside Lounge. The current session runs until February 15. Cost: $10 an evening. The next session will run from March 15 through May 31. Contact her at 515-556-3679 or e-mail Corinne at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining the group.
- Renewal & Discovery Spirituality Group---Contact: Karen Zaabel email@example.com A group gathers monthly to discuss books that challenge them to understand and grow in their spirituality.
If you have suggestions or know someone who would be a good speaker for any of these WIRED gatherings that would be of interest to women, please let one of the planning team know.
Wired Planning Team:
Darla Stiles, firstname.lastname@example.org; Sue Tew Warming, email@example.com ; Karen Zaabel, firstname.lastname@example.org; Carol Lunde, email@example.com; Deb Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org; Sue Ging, email@example.com; Sarah Thorn, firstname.lastname@example.org; Amanda Landers Each, email@example.com; Heidi Pollmann, firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested? If you are interested in WIRED please call or e-mail Darla at 243.7691 or email@example.com or any of the WIRED Planning Team above to let us know of your interest.