Mission Statement: Our mission is to provide opportunities for women to create community and experience personal and spiritual growth.
WIRED (Women Interested in Renewal, Education, and Discovery) is for women of all ages, members and non-members. There will be three WIRED Gatherings per year to get together and visit over lunch, then enjoy a program (speaker of interest to women). Small groups meet based on special interests.
Activities for the Year
WIRED Gatherings: The group meets for lunch and a program.
The 2013 schedule is planned around the theme "In the City for Good"
- February 17: "In the City for Service": Lunch will be served at 11:30 am in Neumann (at St. John's) followed by speakers from InSight, a youth board serving those aging out of foster care. Our WIRED group has made several fleece blankets for them and will work on a few more after the speakers finish on the 17th (fleece has already been purchased--participants will help tie the fringe.) Those attending may also bring an item or items from the following list of needs: Towels, washcloths, shower curtains, plungers, rugs, toilet paper, paper towels, plates, cups, silverware, cleaning supplies, blankets sheets, pillows, kleenex, tupperware, curtain rods for shades, ziplock bags, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mops, dusting spray, multipurpose cleaners, window scrapers, lock de-icer, trash bags, new suit cases
- April 28: "In the City for Fun"; A scavenger hunt with lunch is in the plans at a downtown/East village location. Put the date on your calendars--you won't want to miss the fun and laughs of this event!
- October 20: "In the City for Soup": We will have a chef come to St. John's to give tips on making good homemade soups as well as an artist who will teach an activity.
Wired Fall Retreat, October 12, 2013
How do you view the world? How does the lens through which you see affect your relationships? – How your Enneagram Type Affects Relationships
We all approach life wearing a particular lens. The Enneagram describes nine such lenses and how they affect the way we see ourselves, the way we look at and make judgments about others, and the way we approach God. Come spend a day with your wired friends and discover more about yourself, particularly as your lens concerns your relationships.
What strengths does your particular lens bring to a relationship? What weaknesses? How can you become a better friend, a more loving spouse, a more effective mother, a more compatible colleague?
Prior to coming to the retreat, you will receive a description of the Enneagram and a Type Indicator, which you can do to prepare for the retreat. Also you might want to go online and do some research if Enneagram is new to you. There are many websites, but probably the best is www.enneagraminstitute.com where you will find descriptions of the types and also a free short inventory or a $10.00 more thorough Type Inventory called the RHETI.
Leading the retreat will be Mary Nilsen, a certified Enneagram instructor and a spiritual director. For more information about her, visit zionpublishing.org.
The retreat will begin at 9:00 am and end around 3:00 pm at Park Fleur, 3131 Fleur Drive, Des Moines. Cost for the retreat will be $30 which includes the retreat, lunch, and a snack.
WIRED Small Groups:
All of these groups are open to all women whether you indicated an interest previously or not. Please e-mail the facilitator to let her know of your interest and get more information.
- COOKING CLASSES: Carol Lunde (email@example.com) is the facilitator for this group. Meets quarterly. Watch for information on the next gathering
- BOOK DISCUSSION: Karen Zaabel (firstname.lastname@example.org) will facilitate this group. This groups meets quarterly. The next book discussion will meet on Thursday, September 12, 2013, at the home of Darla Stiles at 6:00 pm to discuss the book, The Devil in Pew #7 by Rebecca Alonzo. Participants may bring an appetizer. Please contact Darla by September 9 at email@example.com if you can attend.
- WOMEN’S NIGHT OUT: Jacque Warming (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Darla Stiles (email@example.com) will facilitate this group. Meets quarterly. This group is planning a day trip to Ames on Saturday, July 20, to visit Reiman Gardens and enjoy lunch at a place to be determined.
- SERVICE/LEARNING PROJECTS: The WIRED group selects one or more groups in the community for a service learning project each year in January. This year’s group was InSight, a board for helping young people aging out of the foster care program. We made many fleece blankets for the young people and brought a variety of items they need in setting up a place of their own. If you have suggestions for group(s) for next year, contact Sue Tew Warming at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- YOGA: Yoga instructor, Corinne Lambert, comes to St. John’s Thursdays at 5:45 to 6:45 pm in the Fireside Lounge for 7-week sessions. The current session runs through Thursday, June 6 (with a few exceptions). Cost: $10 an evening or $60 for the whole 7-week session. Contact her at 515-556-3679 or e-mail her at email@example.com if you are interested in joining the group.
- Spirituality Group--Tending Your Inner Garden Introduction--Contact: Karen Zaabel firstname.lastname@example.org Diane Glass is willing to start a new group.
Within you is a sacred space that holds your true self—your dreams, gifts and life purpose. You can visit this Inner Garden and discover what you truly desire in life. This program has been used by women in Iowa and around the world since 2003. One group has formed. If there is interest in starting another group, contact Karen Zaabel (e-mail above).
- ZUMBA: This group meets weekly on Mondays at 5:00 - 5:45 pm in the multi-purpose room on third floor, through May 6. The group is taking a break through the summer. It will resume in the fall. The class is taught by a licensed zumba teacher who makes it fun and energetic! It is free to participants. You are encouraged to bring a friend. Contact Darla at email@example.com.
If you have suggestions or know someone who would be a good speaker for any of these WIRED gatherings that would be of interest to women, please let one of the planning team know.
Wired Planning Team:
Megan Clausen, firstname.lastname@example.org; Kirsten LaBlanc, email@example.com ; Darla Stiles, firstname.lastname@example.org; Jessica Clark, email@example.com; Sue Tew Warming, firstname.lastname@example.org ; Karen Zaabel, email@example.com Carol Lunde, firstname.lastname@example.org; Deb Anderson, email@example.com
Interested? If you are interested in WIRED please call or e-mail Darla at 243.7691 or firstname.lastname@example.org or any of the WIRED Planning Team above to let us know of your interest and fill out an interest survey.