Mission Statement: Our mission is to provide opportunities for women to create community and experience personal and spiritual growth.
WIRED (Women Interested in Renewal, Education, and Discovery) is for women of all ages, members and non-members. There will be three WIRED Gatherings per year--some to get together and visit over lunch, then enjoy a program (speaker of interest to women) and others as an interactive activity. Small groups meet based on special interests.
ACTIVITIES FOR THE YEAR 2018
Sunday, January 28, 2018: Luncheon & Service Project Program, 11:30 am in Weertz Fellowship Hall
The WIRED Service Project for the coming year is Head Start (in the Des Moines Public Schools):
We had two Head Start Speakers, Crystal Abbe and Kristin Warming to tell us about the Head Start Program and their needs. At this point, their wish list to support their families includes:
- Sweatpants, elastic waist--sizes 3-6 (neutral colors like grey, blue, black)
- Underwear--boys and girls--sizes 3-6
- Preschool books--gently used or new
OR If you would prefer--donate cash to buy books. Head Start has a program that every month they send home a book-to-keep with each student. They have a great connection and only pay shipping.
The Spring WIRED Event
Sunday, April 22, 2018: Luncheon & Speakers on Human Trafficking, 11:30 am in Weertz Fellowship Hall
Speakers: Michael Ferjak, Executive Consultant for Human Trafficking;
Kellie Markey, Started Dorothy's House, to serve survivors of human trafficking
The Fall WIRED Event
Sunday, September 30, 2018
Half day retreat at Lake Ahquabi Lodge, 12:30 - 4:30; fireplace, woods, trails, etc. Put it on your calendar and watch for details as fall approaches.
Let us know if you are interested in attending any of these activities by e-mailing Karen Zaabel, email@example.com
WIRED Small Groups:
All of these groups are open to all women. Please e-mail the facilitator to let her know of your interest and get more information.
- COOKING CLASSES: Carol Lunde (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the facilitator for this group. Meets quarterly. Contact Carol for the next event.
- BOOK DISCUSSION: Meets about every 6 weeks to discuss a book chosen the previous time. The next meeting is Tuesday, May 29--a day trip to Marshalltown for a tour by Mary Giese and book discussion at her house following. Meet at church at 1:30 pm if going on the tour or 5:00 pm if coming just for the book discussion. RSVP to email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org for carpooling. Book to read: We Were the Lucky Ones, by Georgia Hunter
- WOMEN’S NIGHT OUT: Jacque Warming (email@example.com) and Darla Stiles (firstname.lastname@example.org) facilitate this group. Meets quarterly. Watch for the next fall event.
- SERVICE/LEARNING PROJECTS: The WIRED group selects one or more groups in the community for a service learning project each year in January. This year our service project recipient is Head Start. (See above for information to help them.)
- YOGA: Yoga instructor, Corinne Lambert, comes to St. John’s Thursdays at 5:45 to 6:45 pm in the Fireside Lounge. The current session runs until May 31. Cost: $10 an evening. Contact her at 515-556-3679 or e-mail Corinne at email@example.com if you are interested in joining the group.
- Renewal & Discovery Spirituality Group---Contact: Karen Zaabel firstname.lastname@example.org A group gathers monthly to discuss books that challenge them to understand and grow in their spirituality.
- Women at the Well--A support team was formed with 4 members to support a woman recently released from the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women in Mitchellville to help her transition back into the community. This involves issues of resettlement, education, addition treatment, health care, and acquiring the life skills needed to succeed in the community. We appreciate your prayers.
If you have suggestions or know someone who would be a good speaker for any of these WIRED gatherings that would be of interest to women, please let one of the planning team know.
Wired Planning Team:
Sue Tew Warming, email@example.com ; Karen Zaabel, firstname.lastname@example.org; Carol Lunde, email@example.com; Deb Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org; Sue Ging, email@example.com; Sarah Thorn, firstname.lastname@example.org; Heidi Pollmann, email@example.com
Interested? If you are interested in WIRED please call or e-mail Karen Zaabel at firstname.lastname@example.org or any of the WIRED Planning Team above to let us know of your interest.